Thursday, March 21, 2013

Another Thursday Thing: Sew Thinky

I've been wanting to join in on the Sew Thinky at Mommy's Naptime. This is Week 8 and the question this week is "Who do you like to sew for the most?"

My first thought was ME. The next was my family. But truly, the real answer is I love to quilt for my grandchildren and my husband.

I made a scrappy quilt from Bonnie Hunter's site at Quiltville. It's called Bricks and Stepping Stones. After the blocks were done, I did the layout on the floor and it looked so terrific. The "bricks" had come from my Aunt Marie's stash. I got very revved up!

Then something horribly, black magically went wrong. *gulp* You might want to remove the children from the room! I sewed all the blocks together just like in the picture on the left below. But when I put the finished top on the design board it wasn't the same! It looked awful. It wasn't cohesive. What had I done? What went so terribly wrong???


I see, I just clicked on the file right before this one! This is the Bricks and Stepping Stones laid out on the floor.

Then my hubby/hero walked in the room. He said, "That looks very nice. I really like that quilt." I managed to snarl out of the side of my mouth, "Then you can have it!" I'm nothing if not gracious.

He loved the quilt. He wanted my quilt. He said it was his favorite kind of quilt. It reminded him of his Great-Aunt Kitty's quilts (whom he adores).

So now you can see why I love to make quilts for my hubby.

Then there's the time I made Sweetie a quilt for her newly painted in a new house bedroom. I had made the curtains and later I made the quilt. I had to wait about a year before I gave it to her. It was supposed to be a Christmas gift, but she was in love with High School Musical and wanted a bedspread of that. A year later she got the quilt. Nancy Drew called me up and said that Sweetie wanted to tell me something. Sweetie shouted, "I LOVE THE QUILT. THANK YOU. THANK YOU. I LOVE IT." It melted my heart.


Sweetie on her first day of school that year.

And that is why I like making quilts for my grandchildren.






4 comments:

  1. That's so sweet! You are lucky to have a family that appreciates your hard work so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making things for people I love! The best compliment, for me, is when I see that they are actually using whatever it might be: pouches, dish mats, etc. Last summer, I had made a bunch of Oliver + S dresses for my nieces and step-nieces. In Feb. my step-brother's girlfriend mentioned to me that their daughter chooses to wear the dress I made, at least once a week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love the hearts and butterflies! Who wouldn't. It's so cheery!
    But I love the other quilt, too. I hope you don't mind if I make one like it for H2H at Sarah Craig's blog Confessions of a Fabric Addict. It's a charity event, but you can earn prizes, too. Check it out!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. So awesome!! I agree, there's something just perfect when another person can look at a quilt and not see the mistakes I see! :) Thanks for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make me smile and feel warm and fuzzy. To show you my appreciation, I try to answer everyone's comment. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...