Thursday, January 11, 2018

The Book Corner 2018 #1

I finished my second book of the year. I use Goodreads to keep track all of my reading. Last year I set a goal to read 75 books, based on the prior years books read and now be retired. I missed the mark by 4 books. This year I set my goal to 65. I read a lot of classic literature where the page count is an average of 400 pages. I thought that missing 4 books last year just might be because I read books that are much longer and, I think, should count as 2 books! So this year I'm also counting pages read. I don't know if it will make any difference to me or how I will quantify how many current book pages vs classic books. Oh well, it may be interesting or a waste of time!

The Lost City of Faar (Pendragon, #2)The Lost City of Faar (Pendragon #2) by
My first book read this year was a young adult novel. I read quite a bit of young adult books. Those books that I read are usually fantasy and dystopian. The book I read was "The Lost City of Faar" by D. J. McHale. Pendragon is a series about a character who becomes a "traveler" and visits many other worlds besides earth in order to save them from the antagonist. It's fun to read about the different worlds that the author imagines.

Book two is this one:

The Year of Living Danishly: My Twelve Months Unearthing the Secrets of the World's Happiest CountryThe Year of Living Danishly: My Twelve Months Unearthing the Secrets of the World's Happiest Country by Helen Russell

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I'm about one-third Danish; my last name is Christensen. I discovered this book on happy accident and wanted to read it to learn more about my ancestral homeland. The Year of Living Danishly gave me a close-up look of day-to-day life in modern Denmark. Helen Russell, the author, was immensely readable and witty in her account of her first year in Denmark. I found traits that I have that define the Danish, such as love of tradition, family being the core of hygge which is a Danish word for contentment, togetherness & family. I almost wanted to move to Denmark just because the author's narrative from distrust to fully embracing Denmark. The pastry that she described had my mouth watering and would almost be enough of reason to move! However, I would have to pass because of the darkness for 8 months of the year! That's too much for me to survive!

1 comment:

  1. I'm 65 and read young adult novels as well. I have "the Hate U
    Give" and "Turtles all the Way Down" on my to be read list. My first book of the year was " I am not Your perfect Mexican Daughter". Last year was not a good reading year for me. This year I'll be happy with a book a week. I read classic books as well. Reading "Bleak House" for example is quite an undertaking .

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. They make me smile and feel warm and fuzzy. To show you my appreciation, I try to answer everyone's comment. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...