Friday, July 5, 2013

I'm Home! Whoo-Hoo!



It's crazy what people will look like when they celebrate!

I'm back from a two-week vacation to the East Coast to see my dear son and dear daughter and their families. It's an annual pilgrimage after school lets out. I get to see Curly and Sweetie and how much they've grown and changed in one year. I get to see Nancy Drew and TGS and enjoy being in their homes.

Okay, okay...some explanation for the picture above. Nancy Drew and SWH participated in the wildly popular Warrior's Challenge. It's an obstacle race that has fun stuff like jumping over fire, cargo climb, storming Normandy and lots and lots of MUD! Brave contestants work through Army-like obstacles through the mud, "run" between obstacles in mud that is sometimes knee deep and at the end wade through a ... hmm...how can I describe it...ahh...mud puddle that is around 5+ feet deep. Did I mention there was mud? And more mud?

The pic above is my daughter (on the left), in the mud and yellow shirt, with two friends at the "finish line".

What a crazy way to spend a Saturday morning! I chose the better part. I stayed with darling Curly and tried to stay cool in the 90' weather with 90% humidity. I definitely knew I was the smarter one in the family when Nancy Drew said the mud smelled like cow poo. Yummy!


Sorry about the photo overflowing into the right column. The stupid thing just wanted to take up the biggest space it could...it's irritating when the pictures take control!



Above: right to left
Top Row: Before Picture--Nancy Drew in yellow, SWH far right, After Picture
Middle Row: Beginning of race after first mud "puddle." Notice the mud is above the knee!, Curly hangs out in the shade with me, SWH jumping over the fire
Bottom row:  Nancy Drew & SWH displaying medals, which were bottle openers, sporting their hats. Somehow Curly managed to sneak in the photo. Curly and Nancy Drew in hats.

It was a fantastic day.

If I was waiting for my family to finish the "Dash", and I didn't have Curly, here's how I would have spent the waiting time:



Linking up with:

Whoop! Whoop! Fridays

12 comments:

  1. Good times! I'm glad you had so much fun and made it home all safe and sound. Thanks for sharing the photos, it is always nice to see people's real lives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was such a kick and I thought people would enjoy the pictures. After all, who doesn't like people covered in mud?

      Delete
  2. Love the hats! Sounds like a great trip... I would be the lady reading, too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bring a book with me wherever I go. It doesn't matter how little time there is, I'll stick my nose in a book!

      Delete
  3. Love the pic of the woman reading. May I use it some time on my blog? When I post my book reviews on Fridays I like to use a photo of someone "caught reading." But I have run out of candids and would like to use yours, if that's OK.

    Carol E.
    merryhands(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you can use the picture! Thank you so much for asking. We fellow readers understand how you can't keep your nose out of a book for long!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny. Thanks for the chuckle - looks like good fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good fun, but not good clean fun! Luckily they had a huge "shower" (read large sprinkler type thingies) where they could wash off most of the mud. My daughter says she wants to do it again next year; guess it wasn't too bad. Of course she's a vet from the Army and all the obstacles were like old home week!

      Delete
  6. Therapeutic mud? Clearly all who enter this race need it. - Actually, on a hot day, it would be lovely to be in the mud, I guess. Personally, I prefer A/C.
    So glad you are back to blogging again. Missed you.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think my daughter would call it therapeutic mud! Smelly! I'm glad to be back also; I kept wondering how you were doing. I didn't look at Feedly the entire time. I had a ton of work deleting 2 weeks of blog feeds though!

      Delete
  7. Looks like all concerned had a great time! Whoop whoop for the warriors - and those who waited!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were lots of people! They were starting 250 contestants every 15 minutes, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Amazing!! I hope I'm back there to see it next year. Thanks for dropping by--I love your blog!

      Delete

I love comments. They make me smile and feel warm and fuzzy. To show you my appreciation, I try to answer everyone's comment. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...