Friday, June 27, 2014

Quilts From My Sewing Machine #6 Baby Chinese Coins

The "birth" (excuse the pun) of this quilt began as a leader/ender somewhere back in 2010 or 2011. My hubby’s father’s wife had given me a large amounts of fat quarters. Among them were these very brightly colored ones. I decided they would make wonderful stacked coins.

I cut each fat quarter into 5"x2.5" blocks. Then I sewed them together in strips. I put them away after this and planned to make them into charity quilts. When I decided to make them into a baby quilt for Sydney & Mike, I pulled them out and used them. There are still plenty left for more quilts.



TGS has a friend, Mike, that he's known for years while living in Maryland. He is a strong member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and has never given up on TGS.
 
OSLW & TGS wedding, look to their right and the woman
with the purple sweater is Mommy-To-Be
Around the time that TGS & OSLW were getting ready to marry, Good Friend’s wife, Mommy-To-Be was in the last trimester of her pregnancy. She was so close to her due date it was questionable if she would make it to the wedding, which was in Leesburg, Virginia.
 
Good friend & Mommy-To-Be made it to the wedding. Good friend was TGS’s best man. They attended part of the reception and then headed home.
 
The very, very next day they had their baby. The timing was very close on that birth! (Of course, TGS was born after a 45 minute labor and I just barely made it inside the hospital. But that’s another story!)
 
I wanted to make a quilt for their baby. Mommy-To-Be is the Relief Society’s President (women’s organization) in her branch. She has been a devoted friend to OSLW. She has helped OSLW in her new membership in the Church. I decided that 
the Chinese coins would be a perfect, bright quilt.
 
I used some columns of the coins and still have enough for another larger quilt. I had some white minky that I thought would be perfect for the back. Even though quilters advise against it, I decided to machine quilt, rather than tie, the quilt. 

After reading dozens of Googled articles on quilting and sewing with minky, I nearly changed my mind. Have you ever read them? It goes sort of like this: “Beware! Good-Intentioned Quilter, do not go! Do not pass Go. Go directly to tying the quilt!” (spooky music in the background)

You know the saying, Fools rush in where angels dare to tread!

I decided to persevere and quilt. With tips from several (one or two, deeply-hidden articles), I quilted and… found it easy! Does that make me a fool? I think not!


I remembered that Noel Heart had a woobie that was a baby blanket with satin binding. She loved, loved, loved that binding. She would rub her fingers back and forth on the satin and suck her two fingers.
 
I decided I would put satin binding on the blanket. I'd only had one experience with putting on satin binding to revive a friends baby quilt. Let’s just say that it wasn't a good experience and leave it at that.
 
Back to Googling. Again, after reading enough articles, I put the binding on and it came out perfectly!
 
I sent it off to Good Friend and Mommy-To-Be after school started, even though I had it finished a couple of months before.
 
That brings up another story of the Post Office Curse of the Christensen's. And that is another story.


Baby's Chinese Coins stats:
Life Quilt #38
Started July 2012
Finished July 2012
Mailed: September 2012
Baby Quilt 36” x 36”
Pieced and Quilted by Terri



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. They make me smile and feel warm and fuzzy. To show you my appreciation, I try to answer everyone's comment. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...